A recipe! I know, it’s a shock to my system as well. A recipe for blueberry and almond cake to be precise. I’m feeling all inspired at the moment as I’ve just spent my Tesco vouchers on two new cookbooks. One I have been meaning to buy for months, maybe even years, and the other is a new book from Jamie Oliver Food Tube range. The first was the third in the Hummingbird Bakery range called Home Sweet Home. I love those cookbooks, everything always turns out perfectly and the recipes are delicious. Inspired by the first episode of the Great British Bake Off the first recipe I am going to attempt is for a Swiss roll…which I’ve never actually made before.
Jamie’s Food Tube: The Cake Book is written by Cupcake Jemma of Crumbs & Doilies and so far it seems like a great wee find. The first chapter covers basic cakes as well as things you might need to spice up your cupcakes such as infused milk, marshmallow frosting, caramel and fruit filling. The remaining chapters are split in to seasons and there are some great cupcake ideas in there. Topping my must make list so far are popcorn cupcakes and Jamaican gingerbread layer cake.
Back to today’s recipe though. This was a use up what’s in the fridge recipe, which was sour cream and blueberries. Perfect! I added a little honey when creaming the butter and sugar which delicately flavoured the overall cake, which was enhanced further by the honey glazed drizzled over the top. Some ground almonds for extra texture and flaked almonds on top for crunch. A satisfyingly quick and delicious cake to throw together.
Tossing the blueberries will help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of your cake.
Batter is ready to go! I baked this in a deep 6 inch cake tin. If you find the cake it becoming too dark on top before being fully cooked you should cover the top with tin foil.
- 100g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 20g honey
- 120g butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml sour cream
- 150 g blueberries
- 20g honey
- icing sugar
- Handful of toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (160 degrees fan). Grease and line the base of 6 inch baking tin.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar, honey and butter until pale and light.
- Add in the eggs one at a time mixing each in until fully incorporated. Mix in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour mixutre. Just before the flour is fully combined, add in the sour cream and blueberries. Mix until just incorporated.
- Spoon in to the prepared baking tin and flatten with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool.
- Whilst the cake is cooling make the glaze. Heat the honey in a pan until runny. Add icing sugar one teaspoon at a time until mixture is slightly thickened but still runny.
- Using a spoon or a pastry brush glaze the top of the still warm cake, allowing some to drizzle down te sides. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
- If your eggs have been in the fridge, crack them in to a bowl and warm them in the microwave for 10 seconds on defrost mode.